My foster carer welcomed me into her home three years ago. She has been there for me through all of my troubles and all of my achievements. She has encouraged me to be the best I can be, and she has been proud of me just as much in the times when I didn't quite get to be where I wanted.
Through all our fights, tears and tantrums she kept on loving me. When she had her own personal struggles to surmount she was still a cheerful and involved supporter. I am an evolved, happy, productive adult partly because she chose to give a part of herself to help bring me to where I am today.
Even now, she is still a big part of my life. When I need someone to talk to she is just a phone call away. I know I belong somewhere because of her.
Hayley , child in care
- “She's made me more happy. She always makes me smile and laugh. She looks after me and is always there for me.”
- “She has taught me to have fun and to enjoy life.”
- “My foster mum is an inspiration to me and many people around us. She is a big support and has a great sense of humour. She is so beautiful and confident and always manages to surprise me with her love for me and her family. She is the best mother and friend I could ever imagine and she deserves to be celebrated and admired.”
- “He has always been there for me all the time. Through the very tough times, the happy times, the sad times and my very angry times, he has never left me and always been there for me. He has been there for me when many other people have come and gone. He has taught me self control, self respect and respect for others. He’s taught me ways to control my anger, personal hygiene and other household things. He’s what you call a true friend, without the help and happiness he has brought to my life and given me I would probably be stuck on ground zero.”
- “She has taught me to be confident and stand up for myself and others. She has taught me the importance of family. She is an inspiration. She is fun to be around, we like going shopping together, but when serious things happen she is great for support and advice.”
- “She has helped me turn my life around. I would call her my hero. She never complains and she puts up with all my issues, mood swings and meltdowns, but even after all this she still loves me. She tells me that even though I may not be related by blood, I’m still her child and that just means the world to me. Whenever I need someone to talk to she’s always there to listen and she always sticks up for what is right for me. She has taught me to never give up and not let things get to me because it will only end up hurting me.”
- “She's pretty amazing; she’s reliable, weird, funny and always there for me. I love her dearly.”
- “My foster mum has been a great role model for me over the last few years. She’s given me the chance to be a better person by believing in me and giving me opportunities to grow. Some of the best qualities about her are that she’s a nice person, has a big heart and is an understanding person.”
Real life stories supplied by CREATE.