To provide quality care, foster and kinship carers need to be fully supported in their role.
The Department is committed to providing this support and because we understand that being a carer is a full-time role not just nine to five, we have established the Foster and Kinship Carer Support Line.
Foster and kinship carers can call the support line on 1300 729 309 for the cost of a local call from anywhere in Queensland.
The support line is staffed by experienced child safety officers who are available:
- weekdays from 5 pm - 11.30 pm
- weekends from 7 am - 11.30 pm
The Child Safety After Hours Service Centre will still operate for all after-hours enquiries about specific children's needs.
The support line staff are skilled in working with vulnerable children, and are able to provide practical information and parenting tips relating to:
- Behavioural problems
- Children in out-of-home care may behave differently because of their experiences prior to coming into care, or they may have medical problems that carers need help understanding.
- Positive behaviour support is available after-hours via the support line for carers facing complex issues such as children with significant behavioural issues.
- Counselling and support
- We all face challenges or have difficult days, and for carers it can be even more complicated.
- Counselling and support is available after-hours for when carers have difficult and demanding moments, or when you just need someone to talk to.
- Carer resources
- The support line can provide information about available resources, support and referrals in your local area, where appropriate.
- Information about this department
- The support line can provide information about current departmental policies, procedures and existing learning and support, financial and emotional resources.
- Support and advice is also available for matters related to critical incidents, for example a child who is missing from their placement or is at suicide risk.
The support line is part of our commitment to providing foster and kinship carers with the support to carry out their vital role.