The Community Renewal Program concluded on 30 June 2009, with the finalisation of most projects occurring during 2009-10.
On 1 December 2009 the creation of Community Participation Programs was approved.
Community Participation Programs' role is to establish partnerships across government, non-government, community and private sectors to:
- enhance social inclusion and volunteering
- promote prevention and early intervention
- foster service integration and coordination.
In 2010-11 Community Participation Programs' activities will focus on the following priority areas:
- Implementing regional alliances to support the reform of the child protection secondary service reform
- Regional implementation of the Seniors Strategy and Action Plan
- Achieving the targets of the National Partnership Agreement on homelessness through improved service coordination
- Coordinating the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Round Table
Community Participation Programs teams work across the department's regions to implement activities at a local level.