You only need to register your residential service once, and you do not have to renew it.
- complete Residential Services Form 1 and notes—Application for registration of a residential service Residential Services Form 1 and notes—Application for registration of a residential service
- attach a copy of your premises' building compliance notice
- attach a copy of your premises' fire safety management plan
- attach a certified copy of proof of identification, i.e. a birth certificate, driver licence, extract or passport, for each provider and associate involved in the residential service
- attach any other documents requested
- pay the registration fee of $261.20
- pay the criminal history check fee of $35.90 for each person on the application
- lodge the entire application (see the form for lodgement details).
After we approve your application, your service's name and details go on a register that the public can search to confirm you are registered.
Once the service is registered, you must apply for accreditation within 6 months. See apply for accreditation.
If we approve your application, we will send you a registration certificate. You must display the certificate at your premises where all residents can see it.
If we do not approve your application, we will notify you in writing, including the reasons for our decision.
Appealing our decision
If you disagree with the registration decision, you have 28 days to apply to the Residential Services Unit for a review of the decision.
The decision notice we send you outlines how to apply for a review, including completing Residential Services Form 5—Application for review of decision. Residential Services Form 5—Application for review of decision.
If you disagree with the review decision, you can then apply for a hearing with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal, which can confirm, vary or reverse review decisions. It can also make consequential orders and directions, and set aside review decisions.
Applicants must undergo a criminal history check to confirm their suitability.
The criminal history check costs $35.90 (which includes $1.13 GST) for each person who appears on the application form. The fee applies to all applications and renewal notices.
Processing time is 4-6 weeks. However, it can take longer if we need to contact you for missing information or fees.
The processing time may be up to 6 weeks because the criminal history check process, handled by the Queensland Police Service, is thorough and time consuming.
Send certified documents
Take the original document and a copy to a justice of the peace, Commissioner for Declarations, solicitor, barrister or a Notary Public. They will stamp and/or sign the copy and write 'This is a true copy of the original document'.
The Department of Justice and Attorney-General has a list of JPs in your area. Otherwise, contact your local post office, courthouse, bank, shopping centre manager or pharmacy.
Please note that a photocopy is not a certified document.
Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if you withdraw your application or it is refused. We will also refund any unused criminal history check fees or fingerprinting fees.