Many areas of Queensland are subject to severe storms and even cyclones. Here are a few things you can do before a storm, to help prevent injuries to people and damage to homes.
Prepare an emergency kit containing:
- a list of emergency phone numbers
- a portable, battery-operated radio
- a torch and spare batteries
- fresh water in sealed containers
- canned food
- a first aid kit
- a combination pocket knife
- medication and toiletry supplies
- insurance documents and contact details etc
- pet food and other animal needs
- a portable stove with fuel
- money, including change for telephone calls
- a tent or tarpaulin
- woollen and thermal blankets, and
- strong plastic bags to hold clothing, valuables and documents.
Prepare outside your home by:
- clearing the yard of any loose materials that may become wind-blown hazards, for example outdoor furniture, building materials and garden debris.
The department will attend to any damage caused to its properties by storms, but the department is not responsible for damage or loss of tenants' personal property.
All households should consider their options for contents insurance over potential loss or damage to items of value such as furniture, electrical goods, clothing and other household items.