Research shows that four out of five Queensland adults don't eat enough vegetables every day. It's important to get active for at least 30 minutes each day and choose healthy food options for a healthier lifestyle.
Here are some healthy eating tips from the Queensland Government's Find your 30 initiative:
- Eat at least five serves of vegetables every day. A serve is half a cup of cooked vegies or one cup of salad.
- Eat at least two serves of fruit every day. A serve is one medium piece of fresh fruit (for example, an apple) or two small pieces (for example, apricots), or one cup of chopped or canned fruit.
- Have two serves of reduced-fat milk or alternatives each day. For example, one slice of reduced-fat cheese, one cup of low-fat soy milk with added calcium, or a small tub of reduced-fat yogurt.
- Eat some high fibre cereal or wholegrain bread every day.
- Eat a small serve of lean meat, chicken or fish; or two eggs or some nuts or legumes every day. Legumes include lentils, chickpeas and beans.
- Limit deep-fried fast foods to once a week or less.
- Limit high sugar drinks such as soft drink to once a week or less.
To find out if you have a healthy bodyweight and tips on getting active and eating well, including recipes, visit the Find Your 30 website.
Eating well is about enjoying the food you eat, not just about nutrients. Tenants who grow their own fruit and vegetables can enjoy experimenting with a variety of tasty, fresh and healthy meals. It's easy once you're in the swing of it!
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 0 mins
Serves: 4 to 6
1 large red capsicum, seeded and cubed
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 large or 2 small lebanese
3 or 4 tomatoes, cubed
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cos lettuce, washed and torn into pieces
1 cup low fat feta cheese, cubed
1/2 cup sliced olives
2 teaspoons crushed/finely chopped garlic
1 cup fat free Greek/French dressing
2 teaspoons French mustard
- In a small jar or bowl, combine dressing, garlic and mustard.
- Place lettuce, tomato, capsicum, onion, cucumber and celery into a salad bowl. Toss together.
- Sprinkle the cheese, olives and dressing over the salad and toss.