The majority of skin cancers can be prevented by taking some simple precautions when outdoors. Here are some tips from Queensland Health on keeping safe in the sun:
- Limit your exposure to ultraviolet radiation during peak times from 10am to 3pm
- Seek shade whenever possible outdoors
- Wear clothing that covers your skin
- Wear a broad-rimmed hat that protects your face and head
- Wear sunglasses to protect you eyes
- Apply a broad spectrum SPF30+ sunscreen at least 20 minutes before going outside, and reapply every two hours.
For more information about sun safety, visit the Queensland Health website.