Support for carers

Having to care for a spouse or partner, elderly parent or relative can be very difficult and require significant changes to your life and home. If you’re currently caring for an elderly relative, support is available to help you manage.

Carers Queensland can connect you with a range of carer advice and support services including:

  • counselling
  • carer support groups
  • carer payments
  • family support and advocacy for those caring for a person with impaired decision-making capacity.

Support for older carers

If you are an older carer looking after a spouse or partner with dementia, chronic condition, terminal illness or disabilities resulting from ageing there may be assistance available for the person in your care or for you. Options include in-home support, centre-based respite and community-based support. In some locations, emergency respite and other flexible respite options may be available.

Many organisations provide dedicated support services for older carers. You can find a local service provider, then phone and ask to speak with the project officer who works with older carers. Contact the Carers Advisory Service on 1800 242 636 or connect with a local carer support group.

My Aged Care

The Australian Government’s My Aged Care can connect you with a range of services including help in your own home, after-hospital care, respite for carers and residential aged care homes. Visit the My Aged Care website to find out how to these access services.


Elder Abuse Helpline

9am–5pm, Monday to Friday

1300 651 192 (Queensland only)

(07) 3867 2525 (rest of Australia)

This Queensland Government funded helpline is run by UnitingCare Community.

Free anonymous and confidential advice for anyone experiencing elder abuse or who suspects someone they know may be experiencing elder abuse.

In an emergency call the police on triple zero (000).

Other support services

Is your feedback

Please submit your comments on the department's Compliments and Complaints section.

Please submit your comments on the Queensland Government website Contacts form.