You are here:

  1. Home
  2. What is elder abuse?
  3. Information for professionals and workers

Information for professionals and workers

Older people come into contact with a number of people who may notice the signs of elder abuse. There are particular types of elder abuse you may spot if you provide care and support to an older person, work in a local business, are a medical professional, lawyer, accountant or bank employee.

Outlined below are some of the main signs professionals and workers may see which indicate an older person is experiencing elder abuse.

If you recognise the signs of elder abuse covered on the following pages, you can help. To show how simple the process of seeking help for someone in an abusive situation can be, we’ve included real stories of how aged care workers, gardeners, doctors, accountants and newsagents have helped people they know.

  • Aged care workers and in-home care and support workers

    If you work in aged care or provide assistance to an older person in their home there are certain signs you may see which indicate elder abuse.

  • Medical professionals

    Doctors and other medical professionals are in a unique position to identify some forms of elder abuse and, as trusted people, may be the ones an older person experiencing abuse turns to for help.

  • Legal and financial sector staff

    Be aware of the signs of elder abuse of your older clients.

  • Local businesses

    Local businesses may be the first place where an older person becomes aware of the financial abuse they’re experiencing. Find out more about elder abuse.


Elder Abuse Helpline

9am–5pm, Monday to Friday

1300 651 192 (Queensland only)

(07) 3867 2525 (rest of Australia)

This Queensland Government funded helpline is run by UnitingCare Community.

Free anonymous and confidential advice for anyone experiencing elder abuse or who suspects someone they know may be experiencing elder abuse.

In an emergency call the police on triple zero (000).

Other support services

Is your feedback

Please submit your comments on the department's Compliments and Complaints section.

Please submit your comments on the Queensland Government website Contacts form.