Child Safety Services

The next chapter in child protection legislation for Queensland

Stage two of the public consultation to review and redesign the Child Protection Act 1999 will run from October to December 2016. Reviewing the Act will ensure that Queensland has a contemporary legislative framework that underpins the Supporting Families Changing Futures reform program.

  • November is Transition to Independence Month

    Young people leaving care need support and guidance as they transition to life as independent adults. Find out how you can help.

  • Out-of-Home Care reform initiative

    The department is reviewing its investment in placement services to plan the future of out-of-home care. The aim of the review is to ensure that the service system is responsive and focused on meeting the individual needs of children and young people.

  • Greater protection for domestic and family violence victims and their children

    The Queensland Government has passed new laws to deliver more tailored support to keep domestic and family violence victims and their children safe, and to strengthen police and justice responses across the state.

  • Care2Achieve: scholarships for young women leaving care

    Young Queensland women aged 17–21 years who are transitioning from care, or have left care to live as independent adults, can now apply for a scholarship to undertake higher education studies.

  • A new Hope and Healing Framework for residential care

    A new Hope and Healing Framework will be implemented across Queensland to strengthen the quality of therapeutic and trauma-informed services provided to children and young people living in residential care, supported independent living and Safe Houses.

  • My Home

    My Home is a new care option that places children in the tertiary system who are unable to be returned to their families, with permanent foster carers.

More features

Is your feedbackThis field is required

Please submit your comments on the department's Compliments and Complaints section.

Please submit your comments on the Queensland Government website Contacts form.