Reporting child abuse

If you have a reason to suspect a child in Queensland is experiencing harm, or is at risk of experiencing harm, you need to contact Child Safety Services:

  • During normal business hours - contact the Regional Intake Service.
  • After hours and on weekends - contact the Child Safety After Hours Service Centre on 1800 177 135 or (07) 3235 9999. The service operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

You can also report your concerns to Child Safety by completing an online report form.

If you believe a child is in immediate danger or in a life-threatening situation, contact the Queensland Police Service immediately by dialling 000.

Queensland Police Service has a number of child protection and investigation units across Queensland. To contact the Queensland Police Service, contact the Police District Communication Centre nearest you.

If you aren't sure who to call, or for assistance to locate your nearest child safety service centre, contact Child Safety Services' Enquiries Unit on 1800 811 810. Child safety service centres have professionally trained child protection staff who are skilled in dealing with information about harm or risk of harm to children.

When you make a report to Child Safety Services or the Queensland Police Service, your details are kept confidential and your identity is strictly protected.

The Child Protection Guide supports professionals in making decisions about whether a child is at risk of becoming a child in need of protection, and whether a report should be made to Child Safety.

Further information

For additional support and counselling, families can contact Parentline - a free, confidential telephone service that provides counselling and referrals. Counsellors are available from 8 am to 10 pm, 7 days a week. Call 1300 301 300 to speak to a Parentline counsellor.

Other information on how to report child abuse:

You may also be interested in...

  • Mandatory reporting

    Identifies the people required by law to report harm or suspected harm to a child.

Is your feedback

Please submit your comments on the department's Compliments and Complaints section.

Please submit your comments on the Queensland Government website Contacts form.