Planning should start early in the calendar year to encourage community involvement and allow time to seek available grants and sponsorships that may support your event.
Community involvement helps:
- keep the community informed through word-of-mouth
- reduce levels of misconception and misinformation
- increase ownership of the event by the community
- people to better understand local needs
- identify a broader range of ideas and issues that might not have been considered.
Key stakeholder and community interest will generally be around the issues of risk management and successful, positive and safe event coordination.
Activities you can use to involve your community in an event include:
- public meetings
- presentations to local groups such as Rotary, Lions and other service clubs
- newspaper stories and advertisements inviting participation and seeking sponsorship
- local television and radio stories.