Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services

You are here:

  1. Home
  2. Violence prevention
  3. Domestic and Family Violence Protection Act 2012

Domestic and Family Violence Protection Act 2012

Domestic and family violence occurs when one person in an intimate personal, family or informal care relationship uses violence or abuse to maintain power and control over the other person.

Broadly, under Queensland law, it includes behaviour that is physically, sexually, emotionally, psychologically or economically abusive, threatening, coercive or aimed at controlling or dominating another person through fear.

The Domestic and Family Violence Protection Act 2012 (PDF) (the Act) aims to provide safety and protection for people in relevant relationships who are victims of domestic and family violence.

In October 2016, the Queensland Parliament passed a range of amendments to the Act to better protect victims of domestic and family violence and their families, hold perpetrators to account for their actions and support the delivery of integrated service responses.

Seeking protection through a domestic violence order

The Act provides protection to those people experiencing domestic and family violence by empowering police to take action to protect a person from domestic violence and by enabling a court to make a domestic violence order (DVO). DVOs aim to prevent domestic and family violence occurring within a relevant relationship by restricting the behaviour of the person committing the abuse.

For more information on how to get protection from domestic violence, including how to apply for a DVO, visit the Queensland Courts website.

Where to get help

If you need urgent help, call the police on 000.

If you need housing in a women's refuge, call 1800 811 811.

For counselling, information and referrals call:

  • DV Connect Womensline on 1800 811 811 (24 hours, 7 days)
  • DV Connect Mensline on 1800 600 636 (9am to midnight, 7 days).
Is your feedback

Please submit your comments on the department's Compliments and Complaints section.

Please submit your comments on the Queensland Government website Contacts form.