Accommodation support - Disability Services, Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services (Queensland Government)

Error - Your browser does not support Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2, which is required to access this site.
All the latest versions of popular browsers support TLS 1.2, including Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Please upgrade your existing browser, or utilise an alternate browser to access this site.

Accommodation support

The Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services delivers accommodation support services as well as funding non-government organisations to provide accommodation support.

Accommodation support is delivered by the Department through Accommodation Support and Respite Services (AS&RS).

AS&RS provides accommodation support to adults with a disability in their own homes in a community setting with support provided by paid departmental staff.  The people supported by AS&RS rent their homes through public housing, the Department or the private rental market.

In a typical AS&RS household, two to four people sharing their home are supported by a team of Residential Care Officers (RCOs). RCOs provide day-to-day assistance and support to people with an intellectual disability by ensuring their social, emotional and physical well-being. In providing support RCOs focus on person-centred approaches and use support systems that reflect individual needs.  Support systems include generic community services, as well as a range of specialist services in disciplines such as occupational therapy, speech therapy, physiotherapy, social work and psychology.

For further information about AS&RS accommodation services please contact your nearest regional office or phone the Disability Information Service on 13 QGOV (13 74 68)* (TTY: 133 677).

*Cost of a local call. Calls from mobile phones are charged at applicable rates.

Is your feedback

Please submit your comments on the department's Compliments and Complaints section.

Please submit your comments on the Queensland Government website Contacts form.